The Future of Filmmaking? Hey, Why Not?!?

So as a filmmaker and a fan of all types of Cinema, i love to embrace movies that are truly off the beaten path. David Lynch's Inland Empire would be a prime example. My theory is that films pretty much make themselves. You can have an idea, write a script, cast the project, etc., but when all is said and done you usually end up with something that was 80% the filmmakers vision and 20% Fate. With Indie Filmmakers I'd say it's more 60% Vision, 40% Fate. A perfect example is "TRICK OF THE WITCH" -- in the beginning, the 2 other producers and I had a perfect plan, but if things came out the way we envisioned during our first few production meetings, we would have had an entirely different picture. So much changed during the course of filming... locations, last minute script changes, casting changes, etc. All I think were for the better. The film will be heading into editing and post production in a few weeks. From looking at the footage so far we all agree that we have something very unique and different from what is out there right now. This movie has it all... horror, suspense, drama, comedy... and all out craziness. I feel that marketing it for the horror audience is the way to go, but there is more to it than typical scares. We have a leading lady who is not your typical leading lady, we have characters that aren't paint by numbers, we have suspense that may actually weird you out and yet make you giggle at the same time. This makes me very happy. There's a certain audacity in some of the scenes we shot. We were rushed for time during certain shooting days and when you have to meet deadlines you sometimes have to accept the best "final take" you can. These, I believe were Happy Accidents. I'm very excited to see what the next few months come of this film. I'm putting the post production in the hands of someone I not only trust very much, but admire for her creative vision. This would be Vickie Velvet... musician, photographer, editor, actress - you name it! She is an all around artist that is extremely talented and has a very cool style and rhythm to her work. Her husband is an amazing editor and the team of the two of them will bring something even more unique to this. I will be posting preview clips from Trick of the Witch in the coming months and I can't wait!

Another fun thing on our minds is the future... I wrote Trick of the Witch with the possibility of a sequel. If it is successful we may go there. My producer and I have been chatting about the next project and today some exciting thoughts came up while brainstorming. I can't reveal much yet but if we go through with it, we will be doing something that hasn't really been done in the world of cinema (as far as i know) and it will be something that will please not only future fans of Trick of the Witch, but haters as well.

Stay tuned folks... we promise to make this interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment